[vox-tech] PHP and XML or python and XML ....

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 10:56:03 PDT 2006

hi everyone,

I am looking for a good way to export records from a series of tables stored
in a RDBMS. currently I am entering data into this system via a PHP-driven
web-interface. I would like to be able to export data from the database into
a common, parseable format (XML) .

I am struggling with the best approach to dynamically creating XML from the
results of a query.

so far I have played around with doing the work in PHP with XML_fastcreate
(http://pear.php.net/package/XML_FastCreate) ... but am having some
difficulties. Now I am considering relegating all import/export operations to
a python script, so I do not have to deal with  web-browser issues at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions for semi-automated creation of XML via
python, based on the results of a DB query ?

For some background: I am trying to come up with a convenient, intermediate
format for storing complex data- which will eventually all end up in a DB.
However several people will potentially be generating data, and some without
network access- thus the need for a transportable intermediate file.

any thoughts / input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis