[vox-tech] audio - soundcard to stereo

Chris Jenks jenks at resonance.org
Fri Sep 8 09:11:48 PDT 2006

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> On Thu 07 Sep 06,  8:59 PM, Mark K. Kim <lugod2 at cbreak.org> said:
>> On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 11:39:30PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>>
>>> i recently hooked up the speaker output on my soundcard to my livingroom
>>> stereo amplifier.  the result, as they say in french, sucks big time.
>> [snip details]
>>
>> Can you draw an ASCII diagram of how they are connected, the cable
>> type(s) used to connect them, and how long each cable is approximately?
>>
>> Also, where does the computer's sound output go into the stereo?  And
>> the stereo has a separate volume control, correct?
>>
>> -Mark
>
> Yeah.  It's pretty simple---looks something like this:
>

>  3.5 mm plug          RCA stereo plug
>
> ***                    ----***
> ***--------------------|   ***
> ***                    ----***
>
> computer                   stereo
>

> The cable itself is approximately 5 feet long.  One side is a 3.5mm plug
> (which goes to the soundcard output - the same output I use for the computer
> speakers).  The other side is split into two phone RCA plugs (one red, one
> white for left and right stereo output).
>
> The stereo has a separate volume control.  To get rid of the distortion, I
> have to turn the computer mixer down all almost the way and use the stereo
> volume control to play with the volume.
>
> I suppose it could be a crappy soundcard.  I'm actually using an onboard
> chipset of a cheap motherboard.  If what I'm doing is supposed to work, I
> don't mind throwing a nice soundcard in.  But before I disconnect all these
> wires, I wanna make sure it's supposed to work first.  It's a mess of wires
> back there.  :)
>
> Thanks!
> Pete

   Dear Pete,

   Does your stereo have multiple inputs? The "line out" output from your
sound card should be about one volt. If your stereo have an "auxiliary" or
"line in" input, they should be designed for this signal voltage. A
microphone input may be designed for an unpowered microphone providing
millivolts, which would explain your need to turn the mixer volume almost
all the way down. Other inputs, like phonograph and tape I'm not sure
about.
   I've also been trying to run a stereo off my sound card output. I bought
a 300 watt Yamaha home stereo amplifier on ebay, hooked it up to my good
Bose speakers, and turned the volume up all the way, playing some Grateful
Dead. It sounded OK, with some hiss but no distortion and not particularly
loud, but the amp died after about 15 seconds with a puff of smoke. I gues
the volume isn't designed to be turned past 7?!

   Yours,

     Chris