[vox-tech] Boot problem

John Wojnaroski castle at mminternet.com
Mon Sep 4 15:07:13 PDT 2006

I have 2.6.8 running but need to install the ieee80211xxx module and
ipw2200xxx driver for the Intel wifi hardware in the laptop. To do that
you need the source code that created the running kernel to compile with
the correct headers and such as well  the object files to load and link
correctly.  The 2.6.8 kernel boots just fine and I have the kernel
source for 2.6.8-2-386.

Have not been able to find a compiled version of the Intel driver.  The
debian apt/install system is great. Unfortunately, it is impossible to
provide packages for *everything*.

would ndiswrapper work with the Intel 2200 chipset? I did not see it in
the list of supported cards and since Intel provides the source for a
native Linux driver (ipw2200-xxxx) that is probably the preferred way to
go. And since the chip is built into the laptop, changing cards is not
an option.

Once I get by this boot problem, I suspect there will be a whole new set
getting the wifi to work ;-)

Thanks
John W.