[vox-tech] Boot problem

Jim George evesautomotive at charter.net
Mon Sep 4 14:12:04 PDT 2006

After hours of googling I came across a site that helped me to update my
kernel.  Here is the part that really helped me out:

...as quoted from http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29 ....
"Why not install with 2.4 and then use apt-get command to download/install 2.6
kernel? That is what I did. Piece of cake.

 # apt-cache search kernel-image

 It will then list what available and choose the latest kernel for your
hardware (AMD K6, K7 or Intel i386, i686)

 Use this as an example: kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686

 # apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686

 Then reboot

 # init 6

 Login and make sure you have the latest version

 # uname -r

 You're done."

For a newb like me it was painless.  You will have to dig and find processor
info though before you search.

I too am tinkering with a wifi card using 2.6 kernel, ndiswrapper, and other
things.  I got it to work but am having a hard time making it auto on hard
boot ( btw, I have imput

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
  wireless-essid linksys
in my /interfaces file but still no go).

Cheers,
Jimbo