[vox-tech] 10 year old monitor finally died

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 14:52:49 PDT 2006

On Monday 04 September 2006 16:40, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> Jimbo wrote:
> > I knew it was going but thought I had a little bit more time.
> > Bought new monitor (Samsung syncmaster 203b)  and am worried about
> > starting debian on old monitor settings.  Will things auto detect?
> > How bout the nvidia video card I just installed?
> >
> > If no auto detect can I edit some files w/o booting into kde first?
> >  I do know what the horizontal and vertical refresh rates are so
> > I'm not going into this blind.
>
> Since I've been using Linux (~2002), I've not seen a monitor go up in
> smoke due to incorrect settings.  Maybe some old-school linuxers can
> give some horror stories, but I don't think you have much risk in
> just trying out your new monitor with your old settings.  Then you
> can make adjustments by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

You can boot the computer with the new monitor. If the current X
settings work, then excellent (if you feel the need to edit them a
little you can). If they don't work, X will fail to start and you'll
see yourself at the console, where you can log in and edit the file
from there using your favorite command-line editor.

> > I would usually just wipe out my hard drive
>
> <snip>
>
> Yikes!  Talk about using a hammer when a jeweler's screwdriver is all
> that's needed!

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/