[vox-tech] wireless

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 07:39:03 PDT 2006

On Sunday 03 September 2006 01:20, Jim George wrote:
> On Saturday 02 September 2006 07:20 pm, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > Ick ick ick. udev loads ndiswrapper for me automatically
>
> What is udev?  Is it a command used in a terminal?

udev is a daemon that loads device modules and dynamically
creates/removes device files in /dev as devices are plugged in and
removed.

udev incorporates the old functionality that hotplug used to do. I think
you can still install hotplug if you don't want the device file
creation/removal feature.

> > (I think -- if
> > not, then ndiswrapper is listed in /etc/modules)
>
> I looked for etc/modules but it is non existence.

You're using Debian, right? (You linked to a page about doing this on
Debian) The file should be there.

> > Then I just configure the wireless card in /etc/network/interfaces
> > like any other network interface. Well not quite -- I have
> > different interface names for different networks e.g. "ling" for my
> > research lab, and then to connect I type "ifup wlan0=ling".
>
> I want this to autoboot upon start up of system.  I figured out how
> to manually do this with what I have but man, what a hassle!  This is
> what I have so far:
>
> Upon boot I noticed a msg "failed getting wifi interface flag no such
> device". Once kde is up and running kwifimanager has no signal and
> blinks. I proceed to a terminal, su to root, line in ipconfig wlan0
> down and presto, kwifimanager comes up green, 98 signal strength.  I
> check my browser and no connection.  I line in dhclient wlan0 and get
> No DHCPOFFERS received.  I then line in iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys
> [ENTER] and then repeat line in dhclient wlan0 in which I get:
>
> sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
> sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
> Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:12:17:8e:17:22
> Sending on   LPF/wlan0/00:12:17:8e:17:22
> Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
> DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> DHCPNAK from 192.168.1.1
> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
> DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1
> DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
> bound to 192.168.1.32 -- renewal in 43200 seconds.
>
> Gold.  I can now google till my eyes pop out.  Such a hassle.  I know
> that if I really wanted to I can make these exact things run as if I
> was typing them in but this backward engeering is soo dam time
> cosuming to research.
>
> I am a newbie but nonetheless I can read and research.  This is why I
> have gotton this far.  For the most part I'm just copying what web
> pages tell me to do  and have gotton dam lucky.
>
> > I've posted about this before. See:
> >9.html
>
> Read your imput but with my compter knowledge it didn't get me closer
> to my autoboot of wifi.  It did make me think that if I edit
> the /etc/network/interfaces  I can do both load wifi and prohibit
> eth0:

That's almost correct.

> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto wlan0-wifi
> iface wlan0-wifi inet dhcp
>   wireless-essid linksys

The name of your network interface is "wlan0" so /etc/network/interfaces
should just say "wlan0" not "wlan0-wifi". Once you make that change, it
should work.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/