[vox-tech] at my wit's end

Harold Lee harold at hotelling.net
Thu Nov 2 11:02:05 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 23:18 -0800, Norm Matloff wrote:
> and get an error message something like "eth0: no IPv6 router present."
> I just tried running dhclient by hand under Mandriva, and got a message
> "eth0:  unknown hardware address type 24."

Hi Norm,

For the IPv6 error, you might try disabling IPv6 support in the kernel.
I found this article that describes how the code might not be giving
IPv4 a fair chance:

   http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions//showthread.php?t=145028

That would be consistant with not seeing the problem on earlier versions
- maybe IPv6 wasn't there.

I think the Mandriva distribution suffers from old DHCP code - which
keeps it from reaching the IPv6 error. Here's why:

I did a Google code search ( http://www.google.com/codesearch ) for your
error message, and it is coming from the dhcp client. In that code, it
reads a sockaddr struct from a network response from your Powerline
modem/adapter/whatever. The "unknown hardware address type" is 24, which
is the sockaddr.sa_family value.

>From /usr/include/linux/socket.h

struct sockaddr {
        sa_family_t     sa_family;      /* address family, AF_xxx */
        char            sa_data[14];    /* 14 bytes of protocol address */
};

The #defines that the dhcp code is using are defined
in /usr/include/linux/if_arp.h, my version of which has this:

#define ARPHRD_IEEE1394 24              /* IEEE 1394 IPv4 - RFC 2734 */

If you want to go with Mandriva, I'd look for a newer version of the DHCP
client.

- Harold Lee