[vox-tech] Cannot Connect to Comcast highspeed

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu May 25 20:38:11 PDT 2006

wenk at puddleglum.homeip.net wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 07:29:05AM -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>
>>Ryan wrote:
>>
>>>On Wednesday 24 May 2006 07:47 pm, Tim Riley timriley-at-appahost.com

>>>I've changed MAC addresses with comcast here in davis, but you need to
>>>shut the modem off for a few minutes in between for some reason.
>>
>>I can second this, but thirty seconds should be sufficient.  It is
>>NOT necessary to do MAC address cloning or move ethernet cards on Comcast.
>>Having a router of some sort is by far the most convenient solution if
>>you have multiple computers.
>

> I refute this(at least in Sacramento) as of last year(Sept/Oct timeframe),
> I had a dead linksys card, which I replaced with a newer linksys card.
> Unfortunately, in doing so, eth1 became eth2, and the new card became
> eth1.  I switched the line, powered the cable modem off(longer than 30
> seconds, less than 300) repowered everything.  I did get an IP(which the
> original poster did not), but I couldn't get anywhere, nor did I get
> DNS.  I called in, and the guy I spoke with had me go to a website.
> Once on there, I had to do some hoop jumping, but in < 30 seconds, my
> full system was back in business.
>
> I admit I am curious if this is something that has changed recently, or
> if Comcast in Davis is different than Comcast in Sac

I used Comcast in Davis until last year, and now that I am in the Bay
Area, I still use it.

During initial installation, you have to visit a default website to
activate your cable modem, but that was done, I have in both
places switched machines using a brief power-off.

It sounds to me like something affected your cable modem.

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing