[vox-tech] Cannot Connect to Comcast highspeed

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Thu May 25 07:18:20 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 21:47, Tim Riley wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 19:26 -0700, wenk at puddleglum.homeip.net wrote:
> > On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 04:47:24PM -0700, Tim Riley wrote:
> > > Hello Linux Gurus:
> > >
> > > I'm trying to connect to Comcast's portal to the Internet
> > > but without success.
> > >
> > > <snip>
> >
> >   One thing to check out is if the MAC
> > address you are using in Windows ME matches the one that you are
> > using in Linux.
>
> It doesn't match. Windows ME is another machine.
>
> >   Comcast will only let the MAC addr that it was setup with to
> > go through.
>
> Oh my God! This can't be true. They are scum if this is true.
>
> I'll pull out the interface card in my Windows ME machine and
> install it in my Linux box to see if Comcast is scum.

Try MAC cloning first before you physically move the card.

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 01:02:03:04:05:06

Or in /etc/network/interfaces, add the following line to the stanza that
configures your network card:

    hwaddress ether 01:02:03:04:05:06

If your card doesn't support MAC cloning, for whatever reason, then your
best bet long term is probably to buy either a router or a different
NIC that supports MAC cloning.

--Ken