[vox-tech] Cannot Connect to Comcast highspeed

wenk at puddleglum.homeip.net wenk at puddleglum.homeip.net
Wed May 24 19:26:48 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 04:47:24PM -0700, Tim Riley wrote:
> Hello Linux Gurus:
>
> I'm trying to connect to Comcast's portal to the Internet
> but without success.
>
> Comcast uses Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
> to assign my IP address dynamically, and it works fine on
> Windows ME.
>
> However, on Linux the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
> Client Daemon (dhcpcd) runs without error, but I fail to
> get an IP address. Here's the output in debug mode:
>
> sunset:/home/timriley# dhcpcd -d eth0
> dhcpcd: MAC address = 00:0c:6e:ce:34:96
>
> Here's the output in the error messages file:
> May 24 13:45:48 localhost kernel: eth0: Media Link On 100mbps
> full-duplex
>
> Here's the result of the IP interface configuration program:
>
> sunset:/home/timriley# ifconfig eth0
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0C:6E:CE:34:96
>           BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:2680 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:27 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:161364 (157.5 KiB)  TX bytes:8214 (8.0 KiB)
>           Interrupt:217 Base address:0x9800
>
> Notice there's no "inet addr:a.b.c.d" entry. Moreover, my
> browser can't locate any sites. However, packets are coming
> in and going out -- notice 2680 received and 27 sent.

I ran that configuration for 3 years with zero problems(the server
system I used died unfortunately, so I no longer have the config)

I believe I was running dhclient for my outside interface.  It was a
gentoo system, mostly patched to current.  One thing to check out is if the MAC
address you are using in Windows ME matches the one that you are using
in Linux.  Comcast will only let the MAC addr that it was setup with to
go through.

Mike