[vox-tech] Aptitude not being efficient; [was Cannot Connect to Comcast highspeed]

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Wed May 24 18:52:15 PDT 2006

On Wed 24 May 06,  6:43 PM, Tim Riley <timriley at appahost.com> said:

> This is wierd: In aptitude I looked up the package 'dhcp-client',
> and it's current state is 'c' for the package was removed,
> but its configuration files are still present.

I always forget this, but doesn't "p" (for purge) mean the package is not
installed _and_ the config files are erased?  Otherwise, the config files
are left intact if you simply remove (not purge) the package.

> because the command 'locate' shows the existance of
> /sbin/dhclient (meaning it was there at some point in time),
> and the configuration file /etc/dhclient.conf is still there, but
> the command 'ls' shows the executable '/sbin/dhclient' not being
> there. So it was probably removed when I installed dhcpcd.

Yeah:

p at satan$ dpkg -p dhcp-client
<snip>
Conflicts: dhcp-client-beta, dhcpcd
                             ^^^^^^

> Now I'm installing the package 'dhcp-client' in aptitude and
> it's reinstalling libc6-dev, taking 2 1/2 hours because of my
> slow modem.

Yikes!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Pete