[vox-tech] KDE with automounter, external hard disk, and rsync

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Tue May 16 11:56:46 PDT 2006

I'm helping a friend get set up with Linux, specifically:

- KDE 3.5
- digital camera that operates as a mountable volume (USB drive)
- external USB hard disk for backup

There are some problems that have me at a loss since I don't use KDE
myself.

There is a daemon that automatically mounts the USB hard disk and the
camera when they are plugged in. (I think it is part of KDE). This is
good, except that they get an automatic mount point. Depending on which
device is plugged in first, the camera or the HD may be at /media/usb1,
/media/usb2, or some other mount point. The backup program is Grsync, a
wrapper around rsync. This depends on the destination for the backup
filesystem being mounted at a consistent location. And what's really
annoying is that KDE file browser windows don't show the real mount
point of the HD. I'd like to ensure that the HD is always mounted to the
same mountpoint (e.g., /media/backupHD) and likewise for the camera
(e.g., /media/camera). Any suggestions? Does there exist a GUI version
of rsync for KDE that would operate better in this situation? A web
search failed to find such a thing.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13