[vox-tech] Hosed hard drive?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu May 11 23:23:34 PDT 2006

Richard Crawford wrote:
> Running Kubuntu Dapper flight 6 on dual-core PIII.  The hard drive is 120 GB.
>
> This evening, while working on this computer, it started telling me that my
> filesystem was read-only.  I rebooted, and the system got as far as checking
> the root filesystem, whereupon it gives me the following error:
>
> /: UNEXEPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
>    (i.e., without -a or -p options)
>
> When I execute fsck...
>
> root at seamus:  fsck
> fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to
> open /dev/mapper/Ubuntu-root
>
> The superblock could not be read or does not contain a correct ext2
> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem
> (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and
> you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
>     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> So I tried...
>
> # e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda
>
> and got the same message.  I also tried 16384 and 32768 (based on the
> information from man e2fsck -- I honestly don't know the blocksize on my
> filesystem).
>
> dmesg shows nothing useful.  However, syslog has the following entries from
> just before the system crashed:
> May 11 18:12:44 seamus kernel: [4478515.955000] ppdev: user-space parallel
> port driver
> May 11 18:13:05 seamus kernel: [4478537.620000] hda: task_in_intr: status=0x49
> { DriveReady DataRequest Error }
> May 11 18:13:05 seamus kernel: [4478537.620000] hda: task_in_intr: error=0x04
> { DriveStatusError }
> May 11 18:13:08 seamus kernel: [4478537.620000] ide: failed opcode was: uknown
>

> What's really annoying is that the computer has suddenly decided it will no
> longer boot from the CD-ROM drive, even though I have the BIOS set to boot
> from CD-ROM, then the hard drive.  Thus, I can't boot from the installation
> media to attempt a system rescue there.  I've tried booting using recovery
> mode from GRUB, but I only get the same issues.
>
> Any thoughts?  This is a fairly old computer (five years old) so I guess all
> manner of horrors, including a failed motherboard, are possible.

Got a floppy on that, try a Smart Boot Disk to get the CD to boot.
http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

I'd also recommend if you have the hardware, put the drive into another
machine as a 2nd drive and run more in depth tools from a working OS.
Maybe try to read the S.M.A.R.T status too (if the drive has that).

Hopefully that'll get you started - Alex