[vox-tech] Hosed hard drive?

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu May 11 23:11:22 PDT 2006

Running Kubuntu Dapper flight 6 on dual-core PIII.  The hard drive is 120 GB.

This evening, while working on this computer, it started telling me that my
filesystem was read-only.  I rebooted, and the system got as far as checking
the root filesystem, whereupon it gives me the following error:

/: UNEXEPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
   (i.e., without -a or -p options)

When I execute fsck...

root at seamus:  fsck
fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to
open /dev/mapper/Ubuntu-root

The superblock could not be read or does not contain a correct ext2
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem
(and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and
you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

So I tried...

# e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda

and got the same message.  I also tried 16384 and 32768 (based on the
information from man e2fsck -- I honestly don't know the blocksize on my
filesystem).

dmesg shows nothing useful.  However, syslog has the following entries from
just before the system crashed:
May 11 18:12:44 seamus kernel: [4478515.955000] ppdev: user-space parallel
port driver
May 11 18:13:05 seamus kernel: [4478537.620000] hda: task_in_intr: status=0x49
{ DriveReady DataRequest Error }
May 11 18:13:05 seamus kernel: [4478537.620000] hda: task_in_intr: error=0x04
{ DriveStatusError }
May 11 18:13:08 seamus kernel: [4478537.620000] ide: failed opcode was: uknown

What's really annoying is that the computer has suddenly decided it will no
longer boot from the CD-ROM drive, even though I have the BIOS set to boot
from CD-ROM, then the hard drive.  Thus, I can't boot from the installation
media to attempt a system rescue there.  I've tried booting using recovery
mode from GRUB, but I only get the same issues.

Any thoughts?  This is a fairly old computer (five years old) so I guess all
manner of horrors, including a failed motherboard, are possible.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie