[vox-tech] google cache not giving me love.

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Mon May 8 13:48:32 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 03:45:26PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Not understanding how to use Google cache.
>
> I have a broken link:
>
>    http://www.dancefreak.com/steps.htm
>
> which I was able to find, via a normal google search (and clicking "cache"
> instead of the main result link):
>
> http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:ySMw4JQ0uxQJ:www.salsafreak.com/stories-s/steps.htm+the+mystery+of+salsa+timing&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5
>
> However, I should be able to type:
>
>    cache:www.dancefreak.com/steps.htm
>
> but Google complains that the search didn't match any documents.  How come I
> was able to find the page using a normal Google search and clicking "cache",
> but I can't find the page using a cache: search?

I dunno, but the link that you gave us seems to actually cache

  http://www.salsafreak.com/stories-s/steps.htm

Is that the same thing? It couldn't look the same from Google's POV, I'm
sure. BTW, cache:www.salsafreak.com/stories-s/steps.htm works fine for
me.

> The reason why I care is that there's another page:
>
>    http://www.dancefreak.com/dance_styles.htm

Just for kicks, I tried
http://www.salsafreak.com/stories-s/dance_styles.htm, to no avail. :-(

--