[vox-tech] google cache not giving me love.

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon May 8 12:52:08 PDT 2006

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Not understanding how to use Google cache.
>
> I have a broken link:
>
>    http://www.dancefreak.com/steps.htm
>
> which I was able to find, via a normal google search (and clicking "cache"
> instead of the main result link):
>
> http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:ySMw4JQ0uxQJ:www.salsafreak.com/stories-s/steps.htm+the+mystery+of+salsa+timing&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5
>
> However, I should be able to type:
>
>    cache:www.dancefreak.com/steps.htm
>
> but Google complains that the search didn't match any documents.  How come I
> was able to find the page using a normal Google search and clicking "cache",
> but I can't find the page using a cache: search?
>
> The reason why I care is that there's another page:
>
>    http://www.dancefreak.com/dance_styles.htm
>
> which is also broken.  I'd like to snatch a cached version of the page and
> store it for posterity.  And, of course,
>
>    cache:www.dancefreak.com/dance_styles.htm
>
> doesn't work either.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete
While I don't have a direct answer to your question I would recommend
that you give the Wayback machine from the Internet Archive a try
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

from June 2003
http://web.archive.org/web/20020603202937/http://www.dancefreak.com/dance_styles.htm

One reason google may not keep cached pages beyond a certain time frame?
The internet archive is permanent, I forgot how many TB they're up to
now (1000+)

Alex