[vox-tech] graphical front-end to bibtex files

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Mar 7 14:55:23 PST 2006

Ken Bloom wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:05:32AM -0800, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> At home, on my mac there is a nice tool for working with bibtex files.. i am
>> searching for something similar for Linux at work... Anyone have a favorite
>> interface to bibtex files that will run under X11 ?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I've used gbib (http://gbib.seul.org/) and bibcursed
> (http://bibcursed.sourceforge.net/) (both apt-gettable) for this in
> the past. (Before I started building bibliographies by searching
> http://liinwww.ira.uka.de/bibliography/index.html and memorizing the
> most common templates. JabRef (mentioned by others) looks more
> flexible, but isn't apt-gettable, is probably more heavyweight, and
> may be overkill.
>
> --Ken

It may not matter that it's not apt-gettable since there's no
installation, at least on windows it runs straight from the .jar
You do however need a JVM or JRE installed.

I can't remember if it was Jabref or another similar program that is
rumored for possible integration or mild porting into the next major
Open Office release because they lack citation importing. BTW Open
Office does manage bibliographies and I think they're Bibtex exportable,
it's currently stored in a built in DB system. Good for those who
haven't made leap to tex quite yet, but limited in importation.

Alex