[vox-tech] Firefox "find" utility

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 11:51:08 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 02:25:04PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Tue 20 Jun 06, 11:09 AM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> said:
> > On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:46:05AM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > I find the FF find feature to be weaker than what I've come to expect from
> > > Unix tools.  For example, it would be really nice to specify regex type
> > > syntax, like
> > >
> > >    ^foo
> > >
> > > to find the substring "foo" abutted against the left margin.
>
> But I guess I was thinking more in lines of this:
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/
>
> Doing a search for the Event class is sheer misery.  It pretty much
> necessitates taking my hand off the keyboard and onto the mouse.

Firefox should have a "find whole word" checkbox or something like
that to make sure that it doesn't find subwords (e.g.
ActionEventListener) that match the pattern.

Konqueror has regex support, although the ^ and $ metacharacters
didn't seem to work for me, at least in the context we were
discussing. Nevertheless, dots and character classes work, and
you can combine it with the "find whole word" option.

Also, KDE has a "regular expression builder" dialog/program that can
help you to build regexps. I'm not sure how much easier it makes
things though.

--Ken