[vox-tech] Firefox "find" utility

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Jun 20 11:25:04 PDT 2006

On Tue 20 Jun 06, 11:09 AM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> said:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:46:05AM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > I find the FF find feature to be weaker than what I've come to expect from
> > Unix tools.  For example, it would be really nice to specify regex type
> > syntax, like
> >
> >    ^foo
> >
> > to find the substring "foo" abutted against the left margin.
>

> Wouldn't that depend
> on how wide your brower
> is and how things are
> word-wrapping? ;^)

That's exactly my point.  When you press "find next" the browser should know
what word is abutted against the left margin because it knows the details of
how text flows given the width of the document, etc.  So resizing the window
will produce different results, but it should be entirely within the realm
of doability.

But I guess I was thinking more in lines of this:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/

Doing a search for the Event class is sheer misery.  It pretty much
necessitates taking my hand off the keyboard and onto the mouse.

> I guess maybe you meant "at the beginning of a paragraph," "in the leftmost
> cell of a table," "just after a <br> line break", etc.?

That would all be helpful too!

Pete