[vox-tech] Why change default ssh port?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 16 17:54:35 PDT 2006

Quoting Micah J. Cowan (micah at cowan.name):

> This is exactly the same reasoning I used to decide I didn't want to
> obscure or control access* to my email address, either.
>
> * Although I never tried it, AFAICT, trying to give your email address
>   only to "trusted individuals" /never/ works. Some idiot forgets to be
>   careful with it at some point...

There were two things I noticed some years back, that made up my mind:

1.  I noticed that apparently staggeringly large botnets were
(seemingly) attempting dictionary-style delivery to all possible
usernames at my mail exchanger.  (The scale of resources required
sort of boggled me.  I have no idea if this method works for the
spammers, but the fact that I still see it occasionally argues that it
does.)

2.  Some MS-Windows worms started emerging that harvested e-mail
addresses from infected machines' MS-Outlook [Express] address books,
Internet Explorer cache files, etc. in likely locations of the hapless
desktop machine's hard drive.  Therefore, if your e-mail address is
present in even one such third-party machine, it'll get scooped up.