[vox-tech] Why change default ssh port?

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Fri Jun 16 17:48:41 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 05:31:34PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> 3.  We Were Here First.  Speaking for myself, I'll be damned if I'll
> abandon port 22 just because a bunch of cretin kiddies and Russian
> mafiosi with automated 'sploit code and dictionary files want to conduct
> doorknob-twisting on it.  Likewise, it's beneath my dignity to obscure
> my e-mail address just because someone might try to send it adverts for
> dubious investment opportunities.  Do those guys think they're better at
> Internet management than the open-source technical community is?   Well,
> they're wrong, and they can kiss my shiny Exim rulesets.

This is exactly the same reasoning I used to decide I didn't want to
obscure or control access* to my email address, either.

* Although I never tried it, AFAICT, trying to give your email address
  only to "trusted individuals" /never/ works. Some idiot forgets to be
  careful with it at some point...

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/