[vox-tech] var is full - missing disk space?

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 13:47:18 PDT 2006

On Sunday 30 July 2006 15:00, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> I thought half a GB was enough for /var, but yet it's full:
>
>    /dev/hdb2             581M  540M   11M  99% /var
>
> At the top level:
>
>    19K     backups
>    43M     cache
>    3.0K    games
>    207M    lib
>    1.0K    local
>    2.0K    lock
>    12M     log       <-- deleted old logs.  12MB is reasonable
> anyhow. 12K     lost+found
>    4.4M    mail
>    1.0K    opt
>    66K     run
>    12M     spool
>    2.0K    state
>    1.6M    tmp
>    156K    www
>
> But this doesn't appear to add up.  Ignoring the "K" directories:
>
> 43 + 207 + 12 + 4.4 + 12 + 1.6 = 280MB
>
> There appears to be around 262MB of free space missing, which can't
> be accounted for by adding in the "K" directories.

You deleted old logs. Is the size of the directory before or after you
deleted the logs? How much did you delete? Is there currently a
discrepency between df and du? Did any of the files you deleted happen
to be in use? (If those files are still in use, then their space hasn't
been freed yet -- they're simply no longer linked into their directory.
usually SIGHUPping daemons makes them close and reopen all of their
file descriptors which will cause you to recover your space)

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/