[vox-tech] KDE somehow breaking snd-intel8x0 kernel module

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 13:53:30 PDT 2006

back to the task at hand.

As previously mentioned, a dist-upgrade broke sound support on this machine.
If I kill KDE, and manually remove/re-insert the snd-intel8x0 kernel module
sound magically works. However, there is no (known) way for me to do this
type of module re-load when KDE is running:

modprobe -r snd_intel8x0
FATAL: Module snd_intel8x0 is in use.

I can't seem to figure out what in the heck is using it though... the sound
system in KDE is not enabled...

Perhaps there is a way to force the re-load of a kernel module? Perhaps there
is a setting in KDE that can prevent all of this...

I have heard that ALSA is the way to go for sound in linux, but alsaconf
always seems to crash KDE / terminal app that i launch it from.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

--
Dylan Beaudette