[vox-tech] making a new pc

Richard Harke rharke at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 3 15:21:57 PDT 2006

On Mon July 17 2006 10:53, Jimbo wrote:
> I am compiling a list of items to make a nice computer.  I want to make
> this pc so it can also run linux.  The biggest problem I have faced is
> making hardware work in linux.
>
> Raid, wireless broadband, dvd  and, most important, high end games is what
> this system is being built for.  Buzzwords like dual core, sli and 8.1 want
> to be implemented.  Amd and nvidia will be focused on.   I have a 3k budget
> so I don't have to scrimp however there is no way that I am going to buy a
> $1000 processor.  The one I want cost $600 which gives some indication of
> the system that I want to build.
>
> I have suse linux ver. 10 that I have dabbled with.  User friendly for a
> mechanic like me but have seen abundance praise about debian.  Don't want
> to, nor do I have a need to compile kernals and spend hours tweaking an os
> just to make it work.  Will debian do this for me?  Is it packaged like
> suse?
The package systems are rather different. SUSE uses RPM (Redhat Package
Manager) while Debian has its own system based on dpkg and apt-get
I used to run SUSE and then about three years ago I switched to Debian.
One thing I like about Debian is it is oriented to the online world. If you
have a high speed internet connection, it is very convenient. I always felt
that SUSE was more oriented to their CD ROM sets. They do provide some
online updates but I could never get any decent download speed off
their servers.
You didn't say if you are considering 64bit or not. (AMD64 or Intel's EMT)
I have AMD64 on my laptop and my impression is that it was a lot more hassle
to install than the x86 version. (Of course you can just stick the 32bit OS
on your 64bit machine.
As far as Nvidia, I have an Nvidia based video card and installing the
Nvidia proprietary drivers was not hard. You will want the proprietary
drivers to get 3D acceleration for games.

Richard Harke