[vox-tech] making a new pc

Jimbo evesautomotive at charter.net
Mon Jul 17 10:53:05 PDT 2006

I am compiling a list of items to make a nice computer.  I want to make this
pc so it can also run linux.  The biggest problem I have faced is making
hardware work in linux.

Raid, wireless broadband, dvd  and, most important, high end games is what
this system is being built for.  Buzzwords like dual core, sli and 8.1 want
to be implemented.  Amd and nvidia will be focused on.   I have a 3k budget
so I don't have to scrimp however there is no way that I am going to buy a
$1000 processor.  The one I want cost $600 which gives some indication of
the system that I want to build.

I have suse linux ver. 10 that I have dabbled with.  User friendly for a
mechanic like me but have seen abundance praise about debian.  Don't want
to, nor do I have a need to compile kernals and spend hours tweaking an os
just to make it work.  Will debian do this for me?  Is it packaged like
suse?

Don't want to bog this down so I will conclude this now.  Any imput from
this group is much appreciated.

Jimbo
(I'm not a mechanic; just play one in a computer game  :P)