[vox-tech] the mouse's wheel b/w the buttons doesn't work!

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Sun Jul 2 10:02:34 PDT 2006

On Sun 02 Jul 06, 12:43 PM, Hai Yi <yihai2004 at gmail.com> said:
> Hi there:
>
> When I use the browser (or any other mouse-laden apps) to surf the
> Internet, I found that the mouse's wheel in b/w the buttons doesn't
> work, meaning I can't scroll up/down by moving it so each time I need
> to grab the scroolbar to do so.
>
> I believe its a problem of mouse configuration. But can anyone
> enlighten me with some idea? Like, how to fine-tune a mouse under
> Debian?
>
> Thanks,
> Hai

The place to look is /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Mine looks like:

   Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier  "Generic Mouse"
      Driver      "mouse"
      Option      "CorePointer"
      Option      "Protocol"        "ImPS/2"
      Option      "Resolution"      "2000"
      Option      "Device"          "/dev/input/mice"
      Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
      Option      "buttons"         "5"
      Option      "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
   EndSection

Make sure you have that last line "ZAxisMapping".  Also, make sure that the
protocol is correct.  Some protocols will work generically but won't have
things like the scroll wheel.

Pete