[vox-tech] Linux to Linux printing

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Jan 10 07:56:19 PST 2006

Alex Mandel wrote:

[... discussion of identification of port activity ...]

> Thanks, those commands really shed come light on the situation. The
> server is definately not opening port 631 outside itself, and I've
> confirmed, no firewall is running.
> I tried adding the following lines, without the (comments) of course, to
> the cupsd.conf and restarting after each one, but nothing seemed to
> change the nmap or netstat results
>
>> Listen 127.0.0.1:631 (defualt)
>> Port 631 (Theoretically any computer should be able to hit the port)
>> Listen 192.168.1.102 (My desktop machine)
>
>  > Listen 192.168.1.102:631(My desktop machine)
>
>> Listen owl:631 (My desktop machine)
>
>  > Listen Owl:631 (My desktop machine)
>
>> Listen Coyote:631 (the server)
>> Listen coyote:631 (the server)
>

> Any more ideas?

Mine is set to "Listen *:631", but I am not facing the internet.

Look at /var/log/cups/error_log (or whatever your AccessLog is set to)...
the daemon won't run if the conf file is not complete and consistent.

One thing I had difficulty with was getting the daemon to have access to the
printer device... the conf file had me running the daemon as lp, but
my group file didn't have user lp as a member of group lp.  Check that
your User in the conf file is a member of the group that owns your /dev/lp
or whatever file your printer is hanging off of.

You can also use the cupsenable/cupsdisable and lpstat/lpq commands to
kick the printer queues and check status if the printer itself isn't
responding.

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing