[vox-tech] Linux to Linux printing

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Jan 8 01:24:44 PST 2006

David Hummel wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:16:11AM -0600, Ken Bloom wrote:
>
>>On the print server, look for something that looks like this in
>>/etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>>
>><Location />
>>Order Deny,Allow
>>Deny From All
>>Allow From 127.0.0.1
>></Location>
>>
>>and add this line just before the </Location> line
>>Allow From 192.168.1.*

Based on everyone's advice and some online sites I added:
ServerName 192.168.1.105
BrowseAddress 192.168.1.255

and in the <Location> section
Allow From 192.168.1.*

Then saved and restarted the cups server.
Then set up the printer as
ipp://192.168.1.105/printer/HL-5150D

Also tried:
ipp://192.168.1.105/ipp/port1
http://192.168.1.105:631/...

All I ever get in the properties of the printer is
Ready: Network host '192.168.1.105' is busy; will retry in 30 seconds...
So Obviously something isn't working right.

I noticed that once I got the cups server setup, the server should be
broadcasting and show up as a choice in the printer config GUI. But this
isn't the case, maybe if I solve this everything else will fall into place.
Even though cupsd-browsing.conf says the Browsing is off by default,
both machines have
Browsing On

I don't think it matters, but the machines are separated by a switch,
Most of my machines are on one device but the server is nested off that
  beneath a switch, but since that doesn't effect any of my other
network functions I don't see why this would be any different.

What's a good way to confirm that I'm hitting port 631 on the machine
over the network, or that the Cups server is broadcasting, so I know if
the problem is still server config or my desktop machine?

thanks - Alex