[vox-tech] HD filling up - what can we delete?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 27 18:14:15 PST 2006

on Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 01:26:04PM -0800, Bob Scofield (scofield at omsoft.com) wrote:
> On Monday 27 February 2006 10:55 am, Hookand Crook wrote:
> > Our small HD is getting a mite full and we notice that in various
> > places we might do some house cleaning.
> >

> > Are there any other places that I might do some additional house
> > cleaning to free up some space? Especially in the Mozilla folder?
> >
> > Any other house cleaning suggestions?
>
> Here is something I worry about, but nobody else seems to.  When I do a new
> install I change the run time in /etc/crontab so that it runs at a time when
> I'm likely to use the computer (since my computer does not run all day and
> night).

In which case you want to use anacron rather than cron.  Anacron is
intended for use on systems which aren't in 24/7 duty cycles, and will
therefor "catch up" and perform tasks which should have occurred when
the system was offline.

> If you have not done that, then you might want to look at /var/log.
> How big is "messages?"  If it's gigantic, I'd delete it.

See logrotate.  Tune appropriately WRT retention and frequency.

Peace.

    God is real.  Unless declared integer.