[vox-tech] HD filling up - what can we delete?

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Mon Feb 27 13:26:04 PST 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 10:55 am, Hookand Crook wrote:
> Our small HD is getting a mite full and we notice that in various
> places we might do some house cleaning.
>

> Are there any other places that I might do some additional house
> cleaning to free up some space? Especially in the Mozilla folder?
>
> Any other house cleaning suggestions?

Here is something I worry about, but nobody else seems to.  When I do a new
install I change the run time in /etc/crontab so that it runs at a time when
I'm likely to use the computer (since my computer does not run all day and
night).  If you have not done that, then you might want to look at /var/log.
How big is "messages?"  If it's gigantic, I'd delete it.

There may be other files in /var/log that you can delete, but I'll leave that
to the people on this list who really know about this stuff.

BTW, the filling up of the HD is another area where Linux is better than
Windows.  I had a Linux partition on a dual boot fill up once, but Linux ran
flawlessly.  My experience is that Windows9x starts cracking up when the HD
starts to fill up.

Bob