[vox-tech] OT: Automated Audio recording

Charles McLaughlin cmclaughlin at ucdavis.edu
Tue Feb 21 15:47:47 PST 2006

On 02/21/2006 03:23 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> Charles McLaughlin wrote:
>
>> On 02/21/2006 02:40 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
>>
>> snip...
>>
>>> Also, would I have to do some custom wiring splicing to power the
>>> Ipod off a 12v? I'm not even sure how I would do that with a USB
>>> plug. I know  how with serial, has anyone done it with USB?
>>>

>> Perhaps car cigarette lighter power adapter would work?  On one side
>> there is the iPod dock connector and the other side has cigarette
>> lighter connector.  I'm pretty sure that is 12v.
>>
> If it has a cigratte adapter plug I can work with that, I'm assuming its
> a typical DC device plug that I can find an end for at Radio shack.
> What model of iPOD are you using since the newer one's seem different?

I have a 40 GB iPod - "4th Generation w/ Click Wheel".  There are
several car chargers available.  This is the car adapter I use:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=149006

I chose that one because it has a 1/8" line-out jack, which I hard-wired
that to my car stereo using a RCA-to-Honda CD changer adapter.

Charles