[vox-tech] Creating large ramdisks

John Wojnaroski castle at mminternet.com
Mon Feb 20 14:55:28 PST 2006

Micah J. Cowan wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 01:05:16PM -0800, Ken Herron wrote:
>

>>John Wojnaroski wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Is there a way to create large ramdisks (around 200meg) that act as a
>>>single partition?  I seem to recall seeing something on the topic a
>>>few weeks ago while surfing, but now can't seem to locate the site by
>>>googling when I need it?
>>>

>>Sure, it's a filesystem type called tmpfs. All of the memory for file
>>storage is taken from the system's virtual memory (ie swap space). For
>>example, I use this entry in /etc/fstab for my /tmp directory:
>>
>>    tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   size=512m       0       0
>>

>Yeah, but if it uses swap, doesn't that sorta defeat the probable
>purpose of a ramdisk partition?
>
>I'm pretty sure there's something that will do this, but I don't recall
>what it was...

Right, plus would not swap be mounted on a hard drive, excerpt from RH docs

> Swap space in Linux is used when the amount of physical memory (RAM)
> is full. If the system needs more memory resources and the physical
> memory is full, inactive pages in memory are moved to the swap space.
> While swap space can help machines with a small amount of RAM, it
> should not be considered a replacement for more RAM. Swap space is
> located on hard drives, which have a slower access time than physical
> memory.

What I'm hoping to achieve is a diskless workstation, something akin to
ltsp but with everything (including all directories, apps, and data)
running on the workstation after boot;  embedded it you will;  kind of
an iPod on steroids ;-)

Download a small kernel with an initrd ( say 8megs) with PXE or
etherboot to a ram partition /dev/ram0 that mounts the kernel and a
minimal system that can create a large ramdisk, reset the initrd to a
root directory (avoiding any need for pivot_root), then download a bunch
of tarfiles from the server, untar the same, and launch applications.
All based on scripts with no operator intervention other than throwing
the power switch.  Think I have a handle on everything except how to
create the large ram disk.

ATM the workstation downloads and boots to a shell prompt. would like to
keep it under 8megs and it looks doable. Then load in all the X-windows
stuff, additional shared libraries and apps, and launch