[vox-tech] dualboot noob question

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Aug 18 13:16:51 PDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 11:29:56PM -0700, Cylar Z wrote:
> I suppose I could just add a
> second hard drive and physically switch the IDE ribbon
> back and forth, but that seems like a lot of hassle.

You should be able to boot both Windows and Linux via
a menu that appears at boot-time (either Lilo or Grub, which is more popular
these days).

Worst case scenario, you could swap master/slave drivers in your BIOS,
which is what I've had to do for the time being, since I'm a total dual-boot
newbie, and Windows was too lame to be able to be installed on my slave drive.

(I had a drive with Linux on it.  I installed it as Slave and put a brand
new drive in as Master.  I installed Linux on the new drive, copied my old
user data off the old drive and onto the new.  I wiped everything off the
old drive, and went to install Windows on it, but could not, so I had to
fiddle with the HDD jumpers, thus swapping which was master and which was
slave.  I'm typically in Windows for 8hrs per week, and run Linux the other
160 hours, so I haven't cared enough to configure Grub properly to see this
new configuration.  I just poke my BIOS when I need to boot into Windows.
I know: stupid :) ... But I certainly don't have to pop my case open and
mess with IDE cables! Sheesh! :^) )