[vox-tech] Accessing remote screen

John Wojnaroski castle at mminternet.com
Thu Apr 20 14:28:45 PDT 2006

John Wojnaroski wrote:

> Ryan wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 09:56 pm, John Wojnaroski
>> castle-at-mminternet.com |lugod| wrote:
>>

>>> or and associated screen?
>>>

>> you'll want to change the 'x' in DISPLAY=localhost:10.x to the screen
>> number you want. screens start at 0.
>>
>> to display something on the third sting you'd do
>>
>> export DISPLAY=localhost:10.2
>>
>> or, if you're using bash, you could do
>>
>> DISPALY=localhost:10.2 xclock
>>
>> to do it for just one command.
>>

> Thanks, Ryan, for the reply.
>
> After a bit more work and research, think I'm getting closer and a
> little smarter ;-)
>
> The applications running on the remote machine need to display to the
> local monitors and not back to the remote.  Not sure if I made that
> clear in my initial query, just wanted to be sure we are "on the same
> page"
>
> Part of the problem is that I can't get the server(s) to run on both
> cards. In the Xserver file there are two entries
>
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -layout TwinView
> :1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -layout PCI_CARD
>
> and either can be started with   linux$ startx -- -layout <name> but
> not both.  The XF86Config file seems to be okay, in that when either
> display is started it comes up on the correct card with the proper
> monitor.  Would seem to indicate that the layout, screen, and device
> sections of the config file are okay.

Okay , just a follow-up to th earlier post.  It looks like everything is
working properly to setup the X-windows system.

Using the DISPLAY command noted by Ryan I can start the xclock
application on any of the screens on the local machine as well as sent
back the display to the remote client.  However,  my developed opengl
applications seem to prefer running on :0.0 irregardless of any other
display/screen arguments tried with the DISPLAY=localhost:[display],[screen]

sounds like a software/programming issue?  Using opengl with glut.
Trying to find the function to accept/query for the specified display
context and bind the output.  Looking for code source examples or
tutorials on how to do that  -- assuming that appears to explain why
common x-apps work and the locally created examples don't.

Regards
John W.