[vox-tech] Accessing remote screen

Ryan cjg5ehir02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Apr 20 01:02:31 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 09:56 pm, John Wojnaroski castle-at-mminternet.com
|lugod| wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a remote ssh login to a machine with a dual head AGP card and
> a PCI graphics card driving three monitors.
>
> The AGP slot is the primary boot slot and the XF86Config file works just
> fine and all three monitors come up running X and the window manager.
>
> Have no problem starting a graphics program on the two monitors
> connected to the AGP card with twin view.
>
> Question is how do I remotely start a second graphics process on the
> third monitor connected to the PCI card.  Can do it locally by moving
> the cursor into window focus and typing in the command.  Just trying to
> determine how it can be done remotely.
>
> Do I need to get the PID of the second window manager? or some other
> value that identifies the third monitor and associated screen?

you'll want to change the 'x' in DISPLAY=localhost:10.x to the screen number
you want. screens start at 0.

to display something on the third sting you'd do

export DISPLAY=localhost:10.2

or, if you're using bash, you could do

DISPALY=localhost:10.2 xclock

to do it for just one command.