[vox-tech] CUPS on FreeBSD

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sun Oct 16 15:57:22 PDT 2005

Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:32:48 -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>
>>CUPS emulates lpd.  The instructions you said you had followed
>>pointed out that you would have to mv the lpd commands in /usr/bin
>>so that the CUPS equivalents from /usr/local/bin would get invoked
>>instead from later in the PATH.
>

> True, though that didn't eliminate lpd itself. But I was told the same
> thing yesterday on IRC, so I've killed off lpd and removed it from
> rc.conf. That may have been interfering. (I'd already renamed the
> related lpd commands.)

Killing off the daemon sounds appropriate.

> At this point I've got it responding to shell commands and the web
> interface.
>
> . . . .
>
> After a lot of description of further problems, I started explaining
> that localhost isn't responding. Then I started fiddling, and ended up
> throwing out all I'd said, because I seem to have fixed it.

[... localhost fixes omitted ...]

> The CUPS web interface is now working, as is the CUPS GUI
> administrator. I can pop back and forth and get the same results.

re: your other message... this stuff mostly sounds rather FreeBSD-specific.
Useful to document, but I am not qualified to comment.

> Unfortunately, one of the results is that the printer isn't printing.
>
> And NOW I feel that I've gotten enough other problems resolved to pass
> along my CUPS configuration files.
>
> First, a couple screenshots:
>
> http://jnork.nonken.net/images/Misc/PRINT-1.GIF

This screenshot says this printer is still sending data to a socket instead
of a device.  My systems only say this when the printer is on a different
machine than the one on which I am looking at the CUPS configuration... and
if browsing is enabled, CUPS will automatically make those printers
available without having a local spooling entry.

> http://jnork.nonken.net/images/Misc/PRINT-2.GIF
>
> I got the same results whether I tried to connect via USB or JetPrint.
> For now I've set it to /dev/ulpt0 to reduce the number of variables.
>
> And just to make sure, I just did
>
> lptest 79 1 > /dev/ulpt0
>
> and sure enough, the printer responded.
>
> http://jnork.nonken.net/images/Misc/CUPS/

All I see in error_log is CUPS feeding data to itself as a result of the
incorrect specification of a socket instead of a physical device.

The printers.conf looks okay though, so I am thinking that perhaps the
error_log did not correspond to a test in which CUPS was configured
the way the printers.conf shows?

> error_log.txt (I had to give it an extention so you could access it)
> contains very little, actually. I left the CUPS GUI configurator
> running, stopped cupsd, renamed the old error_log, started cupsd, and
> tried printing a test page. That's pretty much all that's in there,
> but at log level debug2 it's a very VERBOSE not-very-much.

It is not just verbose... it is repetitive.

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing