[vox-tech] Raid 1 - Fresh Install - Drives seem slow

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Fri May 20 07:08:45 PDT 2005

>>I also ran: hdparm -tT /dev/hda, as described in the windows thread by
>>Karsten, and it came in at 28 MB/s
>

> Decent, not great.
>

>>- Does the processor speed have anything to do with I/O performance?
>

> Not directly.  Processor speed on blocking tasks (encryption, find/sort,
> compression, decompression) can, however.
>

>>- What other tests might I run to prove it's slow?
>

> You've hit most of it.  Clarifying just what you were doing would be
> helpful.
>
> I ran across a bad disk (IIRC Maxtor) which was netting ~100 *KiB*/s
> last year.  This was sufficiently slow that network operations were
> notably lagged.  I confirmed speed issues w/ hdparm and swapped it out
> for a faster drive for much better performance (60-80 MiB/s).

Hi (again):

I diff'ed the contents of /proc/ide of Knoppix and Sarge, and I think I
may have found the problem:

jstrauss at hydrogen:~$ diff -r sarge.ide/sis knoppix.ide/sis
10,11c10,11
<                 UDMA Enabled                   UDMA Enabled
<                 UDMA Cycle Time    2 CLK       UDMA Cycle Time    4 CLK
---
 >                 UDMA Disabled                          UDMA Disabled
 >                 UDMA Cycle Time    Reserved    UDMA Cycle Time Reserved

After some Googling and looking at my kernel config file,  it seems that
SIS support is a module, like so:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513=m

I found this link which talks about my problem

http://kerneltrap.org/comment/reply/4925/129324

Looks like I'm going to have to learn how to compile a custom kernel if
I want to see if this works

Jay