[vox-tech] Where did all my output go? Bash shell question

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Thu Mar 24 19:36:20 PST 2005

Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> I don't _know_ that this is your problem, but unless you use the
> "alias" command interactively to determine whether it is or isn't, you
> won't either.

All I meant is I'm running a binary, and I wasn't running a script.  The
thought of an alias didn't cross my mind, because my .bash_profile and
.bashrc are pretty bare.  But anyway:

jstrauss at hydrogen:~$ alias
alias ls='ls --color=auto'
alias xterm='xterm -vb -sb -rightbar -sl 2000 -fn 7x14 -geometry 80x30
-bg black -fg grey'

> If my suggestion is just incredibly obvious to you, please understand that
> we all overlook the obvious sometimes, so it can help focus responses if
> you _tell_ us that you checked for aliases.
>

>>It doesn't have a verbose option.
>

> Hmm... perhaps you should check again? [1]

jstrauss at hydrogen:~$ svn co --verbose
Subcommand 'checkout' doesn't accept option '-v [--verbose]'
Type 'svn help checkout' for usage.

I think my question is just more of a shell question.  I could see if I
was doing something like `svn $1` where the child shell was swallowing
the output, but this is a function in my main login shell

thanks
Jay