[vox-tech] Spyware For Linux?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 15 14:30:52 PST 2005

on Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 10:20:09AM -0800, Bob Scofield (rscofield at afes.com) wrote:
> A friend of mine was recently complaining that her Windows computer
> was too slow.   She said it ran much faster after running a spyware
> program.
>
> My son just sent me a message he received from the U.C.S.C. computer
> people.  They advised running spyware to speed up computers.  So here
> are my questions.  Does Linux need spyware?  Is there spyware
> available for Linux?
>
> Also, check this passage out from the U.C.S.C. post:
>
> "Microsoft's Internet Explorer has been the target of many of the bad
> guys attempting to ruin your web browsing experience. Use of the
> Firefox web browser is great way to keep your web surfing as smooth as
> possible.? You can download it from http://www.getfirefox.com"

Not sure there's actually a *question* in that post, but some relevant
discussion, including both how bad the situation is on 'Doze, and some
reasons (technical and other) why GNU/Linux isn't afflicted:

    Spyware, Adware, Windows, GNU/Linux, and Software Culture
    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/spyware.html

Peace.

    MX Radio - With Bob Edwards, who needs NPR?       http://www.xmradio.com/