[vox-tech] Spyware For Linux?

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 15 10:46:15 PST 2005

It is clear that Linux doesn't have a spyware or virus problem.  I've
been wondering, though, about the frequency of compromised Linux systems
of home users.  By compromised, I mean an someone's entered illegally
through a backdoor and is running whatever they want.  Occasionally I
hear of it happening with power Linux users running all kinds of
internet services, but does it happen with home users?  Can it happen if
they don't use any network daemons?  It bothers me that Fedora turns
sshd on by default.  A naive user could set a silly root password, and
they'll be cracked in a few hours.

I kind of watch Gentoo security announcements.  Many of them deal with
denial of service (DOS) attacks where a program running as nonroot could
hang the computer.  How often does this happen?  I'm less concerned
about this one because I would notice right away and fix it.  A
comprised system can go undetected for awhile and mean lots of clean up
work.

Jonathan