[vox-tech] Cygwin's Identity Crisis

Micah Cowan micah at cowan.name
Tue Mar 8 09:41:04 PST 2005

Richard S. Crawford wrote:

>I love using Cygwin; it's a great tool, since I find that manipulating
>files is much easier for me from the CLI than with a GUI.
>
>This morning I SSH'ed into a remote box, though, and executed Vi; instead
>of pulling up the editor, though, I got this message:
>
>I don't know what kind of terminal you are on - all I have is 'cygwin'.
>[Using open mode]
>
>I can run Vi through PuTTY on the same remote computer, but it feels
>inelegant to have two separate tools that can do the same thing.  Is there
>a way to make Cygwin deliver a different terminal type, or to get the
>remote machine to understand Cygwin?

As others have pointed out, a more permanent solution would be to add
the appropriate
things for terminfo.

I've never had this problem, as I almost always use Cygwin via its X
server, and get a much more Linux-like environment thereby. I can't
really stand to use Cygwin through a Windows command window; too many
key combos don't work right for me.  Maybe that's fixable, but I'm more
comfortable with its X environment by now.

Even though my Cygwin is fairly old, and doesn't have rootless X. Or
clipboard translation :-(

(Need to get my Cygwin updated...)

-Micah