[vox-tech] Cygwin's Identity Crisis

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Tue Mar 8 09:11:43 PST 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:56:33 -0800 (PST)
"Richard S. Crawford" <rscrawford at mossroot.com> wrote:

> I love using Cygwin; it's a great tool, since I find that manipulating
> files is much easier for me from the CLI than with a GUI.
>
> This morning I SSH'ed into a remote box, though, and executed Vi;
> instead of pulling up the editor, though, I got this message:
>
> I don't know what kind of terminal you are on - all I have is
> 'cygwin'.[Using open mode]
>
> I can run Vi through PuTTY on the same remote computer, but it feels
> inelegant to have two separate tools that can do the same thing.  Is
> there a way to make Cygwin deliver a different terminal type, or to
> get the remote machine to understand Cygwin?

What sort of box is ths?

You need to have the appropriate terminfo file. In the case of Debian,
this is /usr/share/terminfo/c/cygwin, and it comes in the ncurses-base
package.

On veni (an isun.ucdavis.edu box that I have to use for databases) I had
to set up my environment variables to point to the correct directory
full of terminfo files with
export TERMINFO=/opt/pkg/contrib/share/terminfo
in order that it should even recognize xterm and linux.

--Ken Bloom