[vox-tech] Another Round of eth0 Problemas - Fixed, now how t o prevent?

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Mar 3 11:03:22 PST 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Karalius, Joseph wrote:
> [snip]
> > So, if I may redirect the discussion, I'd like to hear about how the network
> > admins on the list organize IP assignments.  More specifically, is it wise
> > to put static IPs shuffled within the DHCP licensed host range and simply
> > blacklist the statics from the DHCP server?  Why not put the static IPs in a
> > different network, that way the address itself would tell you the address
> > type (static vs. dynamic) and if partitioned out even further, printers
> > could be in one host range on the network ,and servers could be in another.
> > Is it common to just ping addresses to find an unused one and then grab it?
> > Or is this a non-issue and only newbies and hacks are affected by it?
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to move the DHCP to a new network address than to
> move the static addresses, since all DHCP's IP addresses can be moved from
> the server?  Set the netmask on the new DHCP addresses to include the
> static IP address range, and announce to everyone to set any computers
> with static IP addresses to use the new mask.  If anyone comes to IT and
> complains about their computer not being able to access certain others,
> then the IT has identified a rogue static IP address user, and can switch
> them over to DHCP.

I think the case in point contradicts your argument... Joey wasn't at
fault.

> Really, though, nobody should be using static IP address.  If they need to
> act as a server, they can do a MAC-address based DHCP resolution to always
> get the same IP address.  To do that, they'd have to get someone in the IT
> to make a list of NICs that want to have static addresses, and they'd
> enter that into the DHCP server somewhere to always give them the same IP
> address.  This will centralize all IP assignment to the DHCP server and
> remove all IP address conflict altogether (until someone stupidly plugs in
> a computer and gives it a static IP.)

I agree that in most cases this is true... but there are some devices that
just don't work well with DHCP, so you have to assign them statically.
(That doesn't preclude you from ALSO giving it the same address via a
MAC-assigned DHCP lease as a bookkeeping measure, but then you probably
wouldn't remember that it was in fact statically assigned.)

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing