[vox-tech] I'm out of space on /

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Tue Jun 28 05:06:20 PDT 2005

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Jay Strauss wrote:

> hydrogen:/# df -h
> /dev/hda1             133M  107M   19M  86% /
> tmpfs                 189M  4.0K  189M   1% /dev/shm
> /dev/hda8              27G  1.4G   24G   6% /home
> /dev/hda7             361M  8.1M  334M   3% /tmp
> /dev/hda5             4.6G  821M  3.6G  19% /usr
> /dev/hda6             2.8G  113M  2.6G   5% /var
> fe:/home               50G   16G   32G  34% /mnt/fe/home

Off the bat a few things popped at me... first double-check the size on
/proc. That seems a bit high, particularly given your second email that
says the partition is not even that large. If you have a rogue process
chewing up disk space, you'll want to solve that first. Second, also check
the inodes available with df -i just in case this is a case of inode
exhaustion instead of disk space. My final thought is to look through /lib
and see if you need all the libraries you have installed as it seems to be
the lion's share of the partition. My lib directory is about half the size
of yours, but I tend to be minimalistic with my installations.

So those are a few things to look into. And in the process of looking at
how my box was set up to compare to yours, I discovered that I messed up
my fstab on the rebuild a couple months ago so now I'm off to deal with
that. Accidently put "/home" for the "/usr" mount point, so now I have two
partitions defined as /home mount point in fstab. That's what I get for
installing machines late at night.