[vox-tech] I'm out of space on /

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Jun 27 18:12:41 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 07:35:32PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> that worked, I deleted some of the old 2.6.8 libs and my
> /root/.mozilla and was able to install the new kernel.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Eep! :)

> Now I guess I'm going to have to rearrange things to get more space

Yep.  I did that with my dad's PC.  I'm keeping the 1.1GB HDD as the main
system (since I didn't want to reinstall), and shoved "/home" and "/usr"
onto a 40GB drive.  Plenty of room to install new apps (they'll land in
'usr') and for dad's files (in 'home', of course).

One thing I've found handy is:

  du -s * | sort -n

...it gives you a summary of the contents (in size) of all subfolders
in the current folder, with the largest listed at the bottom.

(Throw a ".*" along in there too if you're interested in hidden
directories.  e.g., if you're running this command from a user's homedir)

bill at newbreedsoftware.com       Sunnyvale Baylands Park, Sunday, August 14th