[vox-tech] OT hardware router suggestions

Josh Parsons jbparsons at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 2 13:44:13 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 12:43 -0700, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> I am looking to replace my computer-based router with a smaller and
> more energy efficient hardware router. In the past I have tried a
> couple Linksys routers, but they consistently broke ssh connections
> between home and remote machine (on DSL).

I've been using a Linksys wrt54gs (running openwrt) for about 6 months,
and it's never dropped an ssh connection.  I do have a static IP number,
though.  Are you sure that your ssh connections aren't being dropped
because your ISP has changed your IP number?  Disabling upnp if you
don't need it is also a useful cureall for router problems.

I also own an Asus wl500gx, which is based on same same chipset (though
with different firmware and ethernet hardware). I use it for
experimenting with embedded linux, and am quite impressed with it.

Both of these have well supported open source firmware options.  Oh, and
they both have wireless.

--
Josh Parsons
Philosophy Department