[vox-tech] HTTP Routing Strangeness

Chris Jenks jenks at resonance.org
Mon Jul 25 14:15:08 PDT 2005

   I finally set up a home network for my Dad, with a linux router/server
connected to the SBC DSL modem and two workstations that dual boot to
linux or Windows 2000/XP. One problem has been that some web sites, such
as ebay.com or mail.yahoo.com, will not load on the workstations, although
others (www.yahoo.com) work fine, and all these web sites work fine on the
router. The problem doesn't depend on the operating system, and the
command:

hal:/home/chris# wget mail.yahoo.com/index.html
--13:35:44--  http://mail.yahoo.com/index.html
            => `index.html.3'
Resolving mail.yahoo.com... 66.218.75.184
Connecting to mail.yahoo.com|66.218.75.184|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...

   hangs on a workstation but not the router. The router uses a simple
iptables firewall, but even dropping that didn't have any effect. Also,
connecting by dialup from one of the workstations causes mail.yahoo.com to
load normally. Does anyone have any idea why mail.yahoo.com/index.html
would work differently than www.yahoo.com/index.html behind the router?

   Thanks,

     Chris