[vox-tech] WiFi Part II

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Thu Jul 21 13:02:19 PDT 2005

David Hummel wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:45:59AM -0700, William Andrew wrote:
>
>>So I have tried lots of places and messed with lots of settings to no
>>avail.  That brings up Jonathan's comment : "you may need to get a
>>different card."
>>
>>Now if I were to look for the Ideal WiFi card for a ThinkPad T22
>>running FedoraCore what would I go looking for? What is the best Linux
>>interface?
>

> There really isn't a "best".  There are varying degrees of support for
> different cards.  Some cards "just work".  I've always prefered Orinoco
> (Lucent/Agere) cards, or Prism-based cards.  If you want I have an
> Orinoco Silver I'd be willing to part with.
>
> -David

I would definitely make sure you know which type of encryption you will
be using.  I have a Prism based card (built-in) to my thinkpad and am
able to orinoco and wpa_supplicant on it to connect to wep and wpa based
networks (respectively).

Aethos based cards use madwifi (I think) for wpa.

Make sure you buy a card who's chip someone has made drivers for

Jay