[vox-tech] WiFi problem

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 18 08:18:44 PDT 2005

For those who might be able to help, the chipset is "Texas Instruments
ACX 111".  There is an open-source driver
(http://www.houseofcraig.net/acx100_howto.php) which I've previously
used successfully with a PCI wifi card on another computer (same chip,
different brand card).  Everything looked fine with William's card;
module modprobes, led on the card lights, iwconfig can change settings,
but it wouldn't communicate with nearby WAPs.

I updated to the latest kernel before installing the driver.  Maybe
wireless-tools needs to be updated.  The only other thing is maybe I
didn't get the firware setup correctly (firmware sits in a /usr/share
folder and gets loaded with the module, I think).

Jonathan

P.S.  William, you should save your receipt because you may need to get
a different card.  These problems are very typical with Linux and wireless.