[vox-tech] sshd_config and PasswordAuthentication

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Thu Jul 7 06:57:30 PDT 2005

Hi,

I have a sveasoft box, and in order to ssh from the sveasoft to a target
box, the target box must have PasswordAuthentication yes in the
/etc/ssh/sshd_config file.

I don't understand what that config option actually does.  The config
file has:

# To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!

Does this mean you can send clear text passwords to login?
Does this mean that when you build a tunnel, passwords are sent clear
text to the forwarded app?

Since I'm on Sarge, and debian seems to be security conscious as a
default is setting this to "yes" a security risk?

Thanks
Jay